In light of the “Polar Vortex” we have all been experiencing over the past few days, this Baked Potato Soup recipe is just what you need to fight back the chilly weather. Our family has already made this a couple of times and it seems to get better each time we have it. It is so hearty and creamy, and extremely easy to throw together.
A couple of tips: let the potatoes cool outside in the cold winter air after you take them out of the oven (this will speed up the process a bit)..When you decide to reheat, just add a bit of milk and reheat on the stove..you may need to add a bit more salt also. Enjoy!
- 4 large baking potatoes
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup real bacon bits
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Bake potatoes at 350 for 60-75 minutes or until tender. Cool completely. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, use a whisk to stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually add the 6 cups of milk.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the sour cream. Add the potatoes.
- Garnish with bacon, cheese and green onions.