Growing up, my mom made the most delicious Easy Apple Crisp Recipe for special treats! Smelling an apple-cinnamon combination baking is like a flashback of good memories!
If you want to make this simple recipe at home, here are the ingredients you will need.
I told you when I made Apple Butter that I like to use a mixture of apple varieties to offer a more complex flavor.
Served warmly with a scoop of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream…Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp is totally divine! Enjoy!
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 6 cups apples (peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch chunks)
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Butter or spray with a cooking spray 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Place all the topping ingredients (flour, sugars, spices, butter, oats and nuts) in a food processor and process until the mixture is crumbly (looks like coarse meal) and there are no large pieces of butter visible. (This can also be done with two knives or your fingertips.) Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Place the apple chunks in a large bowl and lemon zest. Toss with the lemon juice and sugar. Transfer to your prepared baking dish Spread the topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and the topping is golden brown. (If you insert the tip of a sharp knife into a chunk of apple, it should be tender, not mushy.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers and reheat before serving.