It takes trial and error to come up with a frosting that spreads smoothly, firms up just enough, and has awesome flavor. Zesty Cream Cheese Frosting has a touch of tartness, complimenting a sweet cake perfectly! This is one of our family’s favorite frosting recipes. We love it on our carrot cake, spice cake, cupcakes, and sometimes spread evenly between two graham crackers for a simple treat at snack time.
The carrot cake pictured above is the perfect addition for my Simplistically Elegant Tablescape. The only assistance needed in making this frosting is your favorite handheld or stand mixer. Combine the following ingredients, with exception to the crockpot sugared pecans (a perfect garnish for any dessert spread with Zesty Cream Cheese Frosting) until smooth and creamy. Spread evenly over your cake. I like to spread with a first coat, place the cake into the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then spread the second coat. Keep the frosted cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Beat cream cheese and butter on low until creamy (no lumps).
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat on low until well combined and smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Spread Zesty Cream Cheese Frosting on our favorite cake, cupcakes, or cookies.